Re: Electronics Readout Characteristics

Hi Fernando,
	Sorry I didn't write back earlier... I attach here below your other
email and a combined reply, thanks!

Hi Fernando,
	The CDC and the FDC anode shapers should be identical. You have
implemented exactly the changes listed on page 5 of
http://argus.phys.uregina.ca/gluex/DocDB/0007/000736/003/Receiver_Shaper_Setup_for_GPC01.pdf
for the FDC anode shaper, right? This is exactly what I did for Yves' board.
	Are both you and Yves using identical length of the signal cable? That
will of course make a difference.
	I have some small questions on your document. In fig 2, you show the
voltage (peak-pedestal) out of preamp as a function of input charge.
What is the cable length (and type) when this measurement is made? Is
the measurement made with a differential probe or w/ 2 single-ended
probes and scope math? What is the error on charge values here, i.e.,
what is the error on the 1pF capacitance value (probably 20-30% I
suppose... Unless you have gone to great lengths to calibrate it
somehow.) What is the signal input transition time (should be <3 ns I
think, or it will affect the calibration of this).
	I think your deductions on the effective gain of the shaper are
correct. Of course, as you know it does depend on the detector pulse
shape - so whether these numbers are exactly the right value to use in
"gain studies" depends on your signal generator and charge injection
network being a faithful model of the detector.
	So, whether or not there is really a disagreement w/ Yves results
depends on exactly how he got that. I don't see the quoted effective
gain number "3.2" anywhere on the wiki (point me to it if I missed it).
It is possible he gets this from the figures below the caption "What
exactly does the shaper? Well you can see this in following traces..."
This looks like about an apparent effective gain of 2.83. However, I
emphasize _apparent_ because evidently this measurement was made with
the (100 Ohm input impedance) transformer-differential probe connected
at the input of the shaper as well as the shaper's termination
resistors. In other words, the cable is misterminated here and the gain
will not be what it really is.
	Anyway, I completely endorse the idea that the CDC and FDC anode
shapers boards should be identical, and that the FDC cathode shaper has
(for now) about a factor of 5 increased gain, which is what you have
confirmed. The ADC125 boards (superseding the shaper boards) for CDC and
FDC will be identical, at least this is the present plan.
	If the CDC and FDC shapers _are_ equal, then perhaps the CDC HV should
be dialed down to reduce saturation? Or else, further ASIC gain changes
or configurability might be indicated.
	As a practical suggestion, how about if Yves were to send his shaper
board to you and you send one of the FDC anode ones to Yves. That should
settle this unambiguously.
	Let me know what I can do to help further,

	Gerard

p.s. Please send the partly-dead preamp board to me when you have a
chance, I will need to make some tests again soon. Thanks!