Re: BCAL timing (fwd from David)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 07:03:30 -0400
From: David Lawrence <david.lawrence1@cox.net>
To: Blake Leverington <leverinb@uregina.ca>
Cc: halld-cal@jlab.org
Subject: Re: BCAL timing

Hi Blake,

    To minimize the contribution of the timewalk in tn8 to the tn7-tn8
time difference, I cut on n8>1000. Likewise, for the timewalk functions
of the other tubes, I cut on the "reference" channel's ADC value being
large. Granted, this will not remove it completely, but it does reduce
it down to a level that is not bigger than the intrinsic spread of the
timing distribution of the PMT. Of course, the procedure could be
iterated using the previous iteration's timewalk functions to correct
the reference channel's time. But again, since the first iteration had
so little influence from the timewalk of the reference channel, I don't
believe you will see any difference in the final resolution.

    You are right. The distributions I produced will have the intrinsic
resolution of both cells and so are sqrt(2) larger than the intrinsic
resolution of a single cell. In principle, one mat be able to use the
timing and energy info from multiple cells to improve the resolution
even further. That has to be thought about how to do it correctly.

    After talking with Elton and Simon about this current technique, out
biggest concern is that using the 2 cells from the BCAL may be canceling
some systematic part of the error giving a misleading-ly lower
resolution than we would otherwise be able to obtain. I think this
depends on how valid it is to assume cell 7 and cell 8 are independent
detectors.

Regards,
-David