Re: FCAL test

HI Beni and Elke,

I wanted to add some remarks to the discussion on radiation damage and
the beam hole:

- As far as testing the damage, I remember that IU has a setup that allows
position scans of light transmission as a function of wavelength. Clearly
this is an excellent tool to actually measure the damage and testing
procedures for recovery. I assume this facility is still available (?)

- This note is probably implied but I a wanted to emphasize: Any
boundaries created by the detector near the beam hole are likely to be
very important since the shower size is significant compared to the
boundary. Therefore any discontinuities will need to be understood very
well for them to be useful in reconstructing showers.

- Finally, IF we believe a few layers of radiation-hard glass can solve
our problem, buying a couple of dozen blocks that exactly match our
requirements should be considered along with other options.

Cheers, Elton.

Elton Smith
Jefferson Lab MS 12H5
12000 Jefferson Ave