Re: Timing Info

Hi Matt,

My comments follow:

Matthew Shepherd wrote:

> Hi Fernando,
>
> On Jan 28, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
>
>> My understanding from reading the note is that the peak sample, which
>> is critical to do the fitting of the leading edge of a pulse, is
>> obtained prior to "degrading" the data for 8 or 10-bit and 250 MSPS -
>> a priori knowledge of the peak is required. The remainder of the
>> technique is very nice, though.
>
> The peak time is obtained prior to degrading the data (in addition to
> the 50% time).  This is only done so that one can compare the
> extracted peak time and 50% time to the "true" values to obtain
> resolutions on each (presented in Table 1).  These true values are not
> used in the algorithm; however, the peak (degraded) sample is.
>
> Richard raised another interesting question related to the fADC
> operation.  At what level is high-frequency noise integrated out in
> the samples?  When the fADC measure the voltage at a particular time
> is it integrating charge over some small time window (less than the
> sampling period) that depends on some input capacitance?  What is this
> characteristic time scale?  If it is very short, then one criticism of
> this note is that it averages over the entire sampling interval, which
> will wash out high frequency noise, before down-sampling the pulse.

The 10-bit ADC has an aperture uncertainty of 0.2 ps RMS due to the
sample and hold on the input stage.

>> For random pulses, we agree that the sampling of the actual peak may
>> be off by as much as 4 ns. I contend that it will be hard to get the
>> timing resolution you need. There is also the question of how to
>> implement any algorithm on-board. LUTs are compact (=fast). One of
>> the fADC250's on-board FPGAs includes a Power PC core which we don't
>> use but it may be slow for any kind of computationally intensive
>> algorithm.
>
> I agree that this implementation issue is an important one that needs
> to be addressed and we will develop a test setup to examine this.  At
> the same time we will naturally have to investigate the issue of
> resolution again.  I should point out though that tests of the
> resolution like this using actual hardware are also susceptible to
> their own systematic errors, most notably a good understanding of the
> resolution of the reference time.
>
> We likely won't get to this until later this spring, but will
> certainly keep in touch as work progresses.
>
> -Matt

The time scale is great. You have two options: use Paul's prototype ADC
or the fADC250. If you prefer to use the fADC250, you can use the crate
that Chris suggested at the collaboration meeting - similar to the PCI
you have at IU but in VME64x and a fADC250 board. You still need to load
CODA into one of your machines at IU, though.

Regards,
Fernando
begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA