Re: Request for additional work space for Hall D

On Tue, 26 May 2009, David Lawrence wrote:

Dear David et al.,

okay I cannot keep myself from replying. For hermes we need for a fully
reconstructed event in Geant-3 between 0.5 to 2.5 s, at rhic Au on Au an
event takes a between 1 - 2 min CPU time.
So I'm not sure what you mean it costs nothing to produce MC events. It
costs time and the rule of thum is at least 10 times the MC statistics
compared to the data. So with the data statistics GlueX is expecting you
will need continously to generate MC to reach 10 times the data statistics.
This udst need to be stored somewhere, so you will need disk-space or
tape-space.

I would revise the xls sheets to include this in your estimate.
I know the only valid comparision is CLAS, I have no idea what they do,
but from my limited knowledge on CLAS I know they are normally not heavy
on MC studies.

Cheers elke