Re: updated talk for PID

Hall D PID Mail List:

Hi Matt,

Thanks --

To be clear, I don't think your study was presented disingenuously you
have certainly fully qualified your assumptions.  This has been a hot
topic of interest on peoples minds for almost a year now, and it is
great to see things rolling.  My beef with what was written in the
document was that it presents very solid (extraordinary) quantitative
numbers for what your more ideal case.  It then concludes with a
softer statement about backgrounds and the possibility of doing
strangeonium physics with GlueX.

It is hard to extrapolate those extraordinary to a realistic case
since we just have one data point.  I think the "right answer" is
somewhere in between what you and Eugene have done.  If, say the final
answer is a S/B of 3/1 (much better than Eugene, but more of the scale
we are talking) instead of 1000/1 as presented in your ideal case,
then what can one concretely conclude other than ideal is really
ideal?  The doc as is now doesn't have Eugene's other end of the
spectrum.  The trick is getting the right balance now during the final
moments of writing, especially when are are certain that we will not
have the right answer in time to put in the document -- those studies
to break away from the ideal case just won't be done in the next 24
hours.

(Fortunately there is a week to "fine-tune" this message in the talks.)

Let's give Curtis a chance to have his beer and nuts and see where we
stand.

-Matt