Re: updated talk for PID

Hall D PID Mail List:

Matt,

I intended to come to your results during this week and include them in
the talk. I thought, in fact, that the difference with my simple
calculation would be mainly in the type of background and in 4c
event fitting, optimizing the resolutions etc. I only intended to
check the simple 4-mom. constraint. The PID is another floating subject,
where the TOF resolutions have been recently shifted and the whole thing
was worth being revisited, including the dE/dx.

Reading the 999 paper and your presentations I realized
that the difference is significant and starts, perhaps,  at the initial
resolutions. However, the track resolutions I use (taken from David) are
similar or only slightly worse than those you show on page 5 of your
presentation.
Let us consider the reactions you used:
1) gp->pK+pi+K-pi-
2) gp->ppi+pi+pi-pi-

These reactions are identical in the 3-momentum space. The only
difference is the energy. It is a 1-dim. separation.
I obtained the E_final-E_initial resolution of sigma=150 MeV
(180 MeV for some PYTHIA events, perhaps because of a different energy
distribution). The reaction 2), treated as 1) gives an average energy shift
of 120MeV, which is 0.8 sigma of one peak. So, I get a rather small separation...
 What are your values for these resolutions/separations?

Thanks,
Eugene

Eugene Chudakov
http://www.jlab.org/~gen
phone (757) 269 6959  fax (757) 269 5703
12000 Jefferson Ave, Newport News, VA 23606 USA