Re: PS target issues

Hrachya,

This is good news.  The variation in the polarization profile across the
beam spot should be checked.

I went ahead and computed the profile of the local polarization across
the face of the photon beam that is accepted by the primary collimator.
I was surprised by how much variation there is in the local degree of
polarization as you scan around on the surface of the beam spot.  See
the plot at the link below.  I have not yet included the effects of beam
spot size smearing, but it will not change things very much at the
nominal setting for the virtual focus.

http://zeus.phys.uconn.edu/halld/glueXmeetings/mtg-9-2008/phi_polar.gif

The azimuthal angle is plotted in radians, whereas the polar angle is in
units of m/E.  The outer edge of the collimator acceptance is at 0.52
m/E, so I only plotted it out that far.  At larger angles, the
polarization actually reverses sign at some values of the azimuth.  Very
interesting.  The ability to scan the beam with a wire would add to our
diagnotic capability, as we could actually see some of this structure,
in a Cartesian projection.  On the other hand, it would also be useful
for monitoring to be able to watch the average polarization, which is
what the experiment will be depend on.  For that we would probably want
a converter foil that covers the entire beam spot.

Hrachya, are you surprised by this plot?

Richard Jones