Re: PS target issues

Hrachya,

Yes, the intensity profile of the collimated beam also has some
azimuthal structure, although the azimuthal dependence is much weaker in
the intensity profile than it is in the polarization profile.  See the
plots below.

http://zeus.phys.uconn.edu/halld/glueXmeetings/mtg-9-2008/phi_intens.gif
http://zeus.phys.uconn.edu/halld/glueXmeetings/mtg-9-2008/phi_polar.gif

I am not clear on what you mean by "beam nuclei instability inside of
photon collimation".  Could you explain?  I agree that we definitely
need a direct polarimetry measurement, but because of cost it is
currently outside the budget envelope for the Hall D beam line.  Let's
talk some time about ideas for this.  I am not convinced that we can do
a good job using silicon microstrips in the flight distance of 1-2m that
we have available to us right now.  We need to go back to the drawing
board and consider all of the options, and argue for the best one.  As
you point out, the device in Hall B was never shown to work
convincingly, certainly not at the few-percent level that we need for
GlueX.  That is a topic for discussion as soon as we have a finished
design for the pair spectrometer.

Richard Jones