Re: PS target issues

Richard,

I was not able to reach and see the angular distribution of intensity
spectra while can do it for polarization...

I agree with statement, based on the recent experience of Hall B and our
own that the direct polarimetry currently reaches the level >= 5%
in accuracy and it is too expensive. I didn't know the status of
the direct polarimetry in the Hall D budget. So when you recently told me
about shift of  PS converter upstream of the PS magnet I thought it was
dictated by need to foresee the place for microstrip converter for direct
polarimetry. Of course  the relatively low photon energies  between 1 and
2Gev used in direct photon polarimetry by Yerphi group and JLAB-SPRING8
collaboration were more
favorable for pairs angular resolutions while the energy range 8-10GeV
with lower analyzing power,lower pairs polar angles(~ m/E) and limited
drift space before magnetic analysis  makes the task more  difficult.

What's about "beam instability within photon collimation" I think the
meaning is clear, beam's emittance is ordinary changing due to instability
of apparatus, leading to a short term deviations  relative the
average position. Having 3.4mm collimation at 76m flight base that
corresponds to app. 0.5m/E(22 microrad) one may evaluate that a  0.5mm
shift of beam position may introduce into play the photon angles between
22 to 29 microrad not visible when beam and collimator centroids are
coincident. I do not know in fact how much fast and in what level of
precision these instabilities may be prevented by active collimator
output's  asymmetry, but they will remain and Monte Carlo simulation
couldn't exactly reproduce them. This is why I've spoken about need in
polarization calculations methods using measured CB shape.

Hrachya .