Re: Combined tracking meeting

Hi Mitch,

Yes, I agree. We really need to do additional studies/tests with the CDC
and FDC and these may well be performed with the upcoming GAS-2.

By the way, I have not forgotten that I owe you some scope pictures. I
should have them for you soon.

Regards,
Fernando

Mitch Newcomer wrote:
> Hi Fernando,  the only think I can see in favor of a 14bit readout is
> that it allows a wide dynamic operational range so that systems with
> widely varying offsets
> and gains could potentially be used with the same ADC without
> requirning modification. The resolution I remember for wire chamber
> measurements
> is something like  FWHM = 50% of the measured value.  Probably this is
> gas dependent so a high Z gas like Xenon would give  higher resolution
> The only place I might imagine using even 10 bit resolution is in
> position extrapolation between pads. - Mitch
>
> Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
>> Hi Gerard and Mitch,
>>
>> I think it would definitely be helpful to have some Garfield studies
>> performed on the CDC for the various operating conditions. I am also
>> of the opinion that we should definitely plan for some beam studies
>> with the GAS-2. I know it takes resources but there is a lot involved
>> here. As you know, there is a test beam at BNL that we can plan for -
>> I have used it while at BNL a number of years ago while developing
>> the "predecessor" to the CDC and it provided invaluable data. The
>> next small CDC prototype could be slated for this tests.
>>
>> I think it is also a good suggestion to ask Mitch about his
>> experience with various developments and if a 14-bit ADC is
>> reasonable or overkill. Mitch could you comment on this?
>>
>> Certainly the 14-bit option is better than any additional circuitry
>> for a non-linear transfer function. The total cost increase would be
>> about $50k! That's a lot of money, for sure, and this points to the
>> fact that we really need additional studies, as I suggest in the
>> first paragraph. I think you also share that sentiment.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Fernando
>>

>> Gerard Visser wrote:
>>> Hi Elke,
>>>     From the quote which I obtained last year, it is about $15 more
>>> per channel to have 14-bit ADC's on the board. There is (according
>>> to spec documents) no change to the power dissipation. [It is
>>> apparently the same chips, just tested to different level of
>>> performance that you buy.] It is probable the price will go down,
>>> probably not by quite that much though.
>>>     Nonlinear response will cost much less than $15 per channel, as
>>> long as it fits on the same basic board architecture (which depends
>>> on the details of what we would want to do, of course).
>>>     I agree also, the ASIC does some nonlinear transformation, but
>>> on the other hand _that_ may not be very precisely controlled (for
>>> temperature, matching, whatever...). Also, ideally the nonlinearity
>>> would be introduced after all shaping filters so that it can be
>>> precisely and easily un-done by a lookup table in the FPGA, to allow
>>> for integrating the pulse. If the nonlinearity is introduced
>>> earlier, then un-doing it requires some sort of nonlinear digital
>>> filter not just a lookup table.
> [...]
begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA