Re: back of the envelope

Eugene,

I re-derived the expression you gave for the deviation given your stated
assumptions and I agree with it in the approximation where the steps are
small. I also looked at the data from the plots I posted; for the track
I showed, the nominal radius of curvature is about 42 cm. After moving
about 5.2 cm, the deviation I see in the data is 32 microns. Plugging
into the formula you gave also gives 32 microns, which I will call
excellent agreement.

In my last message, the "1/2 cm per % of B field deviation..." statement
implies a linear dependence of the deviation with track length which is
not correct. The dependence is quadratic; thanks for pointing that out.
The plots and the deviation as shown in the post are correct (as
suggested by the aforementioned agreement); it is just that there is no
linear scaling coefficient.

  -- Mark