Re: Hall D temperatures

Hi George and Gerard,

According to the specifications for the hall, the temperature and
humidity in the hall will be maintained within +/- 2 degree F of the set
value (70 degree F) and 55% humidity. This is under normal steady state
conditions and at the locations where the sensors are located - so an
average.

Temperature excursions will be higher in some spots, perhaps inside the
solenoid where there is very little space and lots of obtrusions from
cable and pipes. The FDC electronics will have its own cooling system
and the CDC electronics will be "outside" the solenoid (upstream)
volume. A cooling system for the BCAL SiPMs (with Peltier cells?) can be
implemented in a similar fashion to the FDC electronics. In any case, I
think the temperature excursions inside the solenoid won't be that much
higher than those specified for the Hall given the cooling systems under
consideration. Note, however, that this won't be good enough for gain
stability of the SiPMs.

Gerard, the temperature variation will be inconsequential for the cable,
I think, so we can use the cable as is.

Regards,
Fernando

Tim Whitlatch wrote:
> After checking with facilities management, The temperature and
> humidity of the hall will be as said below. This will only be
> controlled at some locations, so there will be some variations
> locally. There is planned to be a couple of hundred KW of chilled
> water (at 44°F) available in the hall for equipment.
>
> Tim
>
> Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
>> Hi Elliott,
>>
>> I have a very, very hard time believing that the temperature in the
>> hall will 70 F +/- 2F and the humidity will be held at 55 %. We
>> really need to know this.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fernando
>>
>> Elliott Wolin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Rebecca is out today, and I'm still trying to contact Celia, but
>>> Suresh says the design report specifies 70F for the hall temperature
>>> and 55% for the humidity, both summer and winter.  His feeling is
>>> that +-2F on the temperature is a typical range, but he's not sure
>>> what the spec is.
>>>
>>> More later...
>>>
>>>                 Sincerely,
>>>                     Elliott
>>>

>>> ================================================================================
>>>

>>>  Those raised in a morally relative or neutral environment will hold
>>>             no truths to be self-evident.
>>>               Elliott Wolin
>>> Staff Physicist, Jefferson Lab
>>> 12000 Jefferson Ave MS 12H5
>>> Newport News, VA 23606
>>> 757-269-7365

begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA