Re: VXS & Signal Distribution

Hall D Electronics:

Hi,

VITA 41.0 does not have backplane Payload to switch skew
specifications.  Remember that the switch slot can be located in any
physical slot in a star configuration, and any two physical slots for a
dual star implementation.  For our JLAB 20 slot VXS Wiener/Elma crates,
I would wager that the largest skew variation is between Payload Port
17(slot 1) and PPort1(slot 9) for the 'left' side of the crate.  Since
the backplane is symmetrical, pair trace lengths for Port 2 vs PPort 18
*should* be the same.  The pair to pair skew is most likely in the Elma
backplane specification and the folks from Wiener owe me that Elma spec.
(Elma knows the copper trace lengths)

The protocol specifications:
41.1  InFiniBand
41.2 RapidIO
41.3 Gig Ethernet
41.4 PCI Xpress
41.5 Aurora
will most likely have different skew (max) specifications listed, and I
believe the 22ns spec listing , but must admit that I do not know how
they derive that spec.

Talk to you tomorrow,
Chris
~~~~~~~~~