Re: FEU84-3 / FADC Timing

Hi Matt,

I completely agree that it will be very useful to perform your tests
with the final system configuration, i.e., fADC250 on a VXS crate. We
could also include a F1TDC for checks. And the feedback from these tests
will provide us with valuable information for improving any features, in
both software and hardware.

I talked to Chris this morning and he has a VXS crate that you can
borrow along with a 12-bit fADC250 (8 channel). We also need to talk to
David Abbott regarding the drivers while you are here for the
collaboration meeting.

Regards,
Fernando

Matthew Shepherd wrote:

> Hi Fernando,
>
> By +- 4 ns noise, I just mean uncertainty in the clock
> synchronization.  Of course this (or lack thereof) is getting designed
> into GlueX -- all electronics clocks will be synchronized.  My point
> is that this is an absolutely essential feature!
>
> It is going to be very helpful to be able to migrate to the JLab FADC
> where we can have multiple synchronized channels.  We should talk at
> the meeting about how best we can get one of these modules up and
> running at Indiana.  There are only so many tricks we can play with
> one channel.  I think very soon we will want start working with
> something that looks more like the real system so we can better
> explore channel-to-channel stability.  This is where the noise
> discrimination and "bunch finding" power will come from the real FCAL
> anyway.  It will be crucial to demonstrate that the multiple channels
> have a very tight and stable time variance when viewing a common light
> source.
>
> See you later this week,
>
> -Matt
>

> On Apr 29, 2008, at 8:32 PM, Fernando J. Barbosa wrote:
>> Hi Matt and Mihajlo,
>>
>> The results are indeed impressive! These also point to the stability
>> of the ADC.
>>
>> I don't understand what you mean by the +/- 4 ns noise. Do you mean
>> missing samples on the leading edge? In order to get the full
>> resolution from a 10-bit ADC running at 250 MSPS, the clock must be
>> stable to less than 2 ps (jitter). For 12-bit ADCs running at the
>> same 250 MSPS, the clock must be stable to less than 350 fs! For the
>> energy sum, these numbers can be considerably relaxed but for timing
>> from the fADC, we need to measure the timing resolution dependence on
>> clock stability. This would be a very interesting measurement that
>> could be checked by modulating the clock signal. In any case, we have
>> tested clock distribution circuits with optical fibers to be stable
>> to better than 2 ps and that's our present plan.
>>
>> I completely agree that there are quite a few tests left regarding
>> the timing stability. The PMT & CW stability tests will provide a
>> measure as to what level of control we need to have over the voltage
>> setting, temperature, etc. The temperature in the hall is expected to
>> be stable around 70 F but the characteristics of the cable must be
>> well understood so that temperature does not become a factor.
>> Eventually, I think it would also be useful to characterize the
>> timing algorithm for single shot resolution and if it changes over
>> time, perhaps in combination with a high resolution TDC. The F1TDC
>> has a resolution of 60 ps if needed.
>>
>> I look forward to your presentations next week during the
>> collaboration meeting. It may also be a good time to start discussing
>> the algorithm implementation on a FPGA.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Fernando
>>

>> Matthew Shepherd wrote:

> [...]
begin:vcard
fn:Fernando J. Barbosa
n:Barbosa;Fernando J.
org:Jefferson Lab
adr:Suite #10, 12B3;;12000 Jefferson Ave.;Newport News;VA;23606;USA